Thursday, May 13, 2010

Soup for the Soul

So after the wonderful "virtual soup" wishes my e-girlfriends sent... I got to thinking about the soups that really comfort me. Its not the chicken noodle soup we all know from Campbells or Grandma...no sir! I'll tell ya whats the BEST comfort soup ever

... but...... first off. Nothing beats a good bowl of creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich.. am I right? Plunging that creamy velveeta-y.. buttery, crisp toast into a bowl of red deliciousness.. oooh YUM

Ok, so I got a bit carried away. hahaa .. I do love tomato soup and dont even get me started on mushroom bisque... Lorday! ;)
~~~~Mouth waters~~~~
ok.. so after getting carried away again just now by the mushroom bisque thought and my urge to google up some yummy recipes and running down to Quiznos to get some... Im now wondering why Im about ready to post the recipe for the soup I started this blog to tell you about?!?

Goodeness.. so exciting!!!

Anyway...I actually have 2 recipes to post. I wish so badly that I had a photo of them to show you just how yummy they are.. but imagine.. and give it a whirl yourself... you are going to LOVE them! I got both of these recipes from my long time friend Rhonda. We grew up and went to school together and have traded some pretty GOOD recipes... her Mom and Aunts and Grandmas too! {LOVE friends like that!!!} So shout out to Rhonda! woot woot!!! ;O)

Broccoli and Cheese Soup
{It really should be called Cheesy Potato Soup in my opinion}

1 cup carrots {grated or chopped up tiny}
1/4 cup celery {chopped}
1 small onion {chopped}
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup velveeta cheese {chopped into hunks}
1 cup of frozen hashbrowns {I used the shredded not cubed}

Bring carrots, onions, celery and broth to a boil, turn to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Mix together flour and milk and add to veggies & broth slowly. Cook on medium until mixture is thick and bubbly, then add the rest of the ingredients {cheese, broccoli and hashbrowns}. I transfer to a crock pot and let simmer on low for a couple hours.. you can just cook until it looks ready for your liking.

I seriously always double this recipe. I use a whole block of velveeta and a whole bag of hashbrowns and broccoli. It is also great frozen then reheated later. YUMMMMYYYY!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clam Chowder

Sautee:
2 tablespoons butter and 1 medium onion {chopped}

to this add:

2 cans Cream of potato soup
1 can Cream of celery soup
2 cans New England clam chowder soup
1 can minced clams
1 quart half & half

Transfer to crockpot and simmer for a couple hours. Its really super easy since you are using a bunch of canned stuff, but has a hint of your own spin on it. I add seasonings and some garlic for good measure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ps: I was hoping to have posted this yesterday, but as I was just getting ready to type the recipes got a call from the sitter... a 3 hour trip to the Urgent Care ensued.... blog post to follow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tomato soup and grilled cheese is one of my very favorite things to eat too, Angi!

Thanks for the recipes!